Saturday, April 14, 2012

Simple Card Saturday and Paper Smooches SPARKS DT call - Congratulations

Happy Saturday, everybody! I hope you all had as wonderful a week as I did. I've felt so honored and blessed recently, first with the April guest designer spot at Paper Smooches, then making the Design Team at CAS-ual Fridays. And, just a few days ago, I got 3 (yep. Count 'em. 3) requests for publication in the September issue of CARDS magazine. I haven't seen my work in print yet, and won't until August, but between August and September, I will have a total of SIX projects posted. I seriously cannot wait! I really hope my luck continues as I apply for the Paper Smooches SPARKS DT. This is my second entry for that call, as well as my simple card for today. Here is the inspiration photo I used:So, with inspiration photos and sketches, I usually do a pretty literal translation. I'm trying not to be so literal and give myself a little more freedom. I guess I can't really help the way that something inspires me, but I'm going to try to think a little more outside the box and outside my comfort zone, at least as it relates to the photo. I made this card without having the picture in front of me (usually I pull it up on my laptop and refer back to it several times during the card-making process). I didn't do that this time. Instead, I tried to evoke a sense of what inspired me about the photo when I last looked at it a couple days ago. This was, of course, after I pulled out a puffy pink felt onesie embellishment (to do my whole literal thing), and it just wasn't quite right. I remembered feeling inspired by the darker pink color of the onesie, the lovely fabric adorning the top, the pop of green, and the baby theme. That's when I arrived at this paper yummy:
I really love just how SWEET this card turned out. I paper-pieced this adorable flower stamp from Pebbles Inc., and the sentiment is from the Paper Smooches Simply Said set. I LOVE just how crisply the sentiment stamped (which can be said for all Paper Smooches stamps!). I added a tiny button, machine stitching, a big feminine eyelet ribbon at the top, and some dainty little scalloped strips to the top and bottom. Here's a close-up of that adorable flower:
I'm playing along here:
Crafty Creations Challenges #165: Flower Power
Little Red Wagon Spring Colors Challenge
Lily Pad Cards Flowers Challenge
Pile It On #15: All About S (sewing, scallops, stamping)
The Ribbon Carousel Challenge 48: Sketch (I flipped it)
Simon Says Stamp Challenge: April Showers Bring Spring Flowers
The Pink Elephant TPE143: Flowers

Thanks for looking!

Supplies: cardstock: Georgia Pacific (white), Recollections (natural); patterned papers: KI Memories (green gingham), Echo Park (dark pink dots), DCWV (light pink dots), stamps: Paper Smooches (sentiment), Pebbles Inc. (image); ink: Tsukineko; scallop edge punch: Martha Stewart; ribbon: Offray; button: American Crafts; sewing machine: Kenmore; thread: Singer

14 comments:

  1. Simple and sweet!! Woot, woot on your upcoming publications!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is this! I love the CAS design of your card=) Congratulations on the publications!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, sooo beautiful. Love the patterns and the stitching and the bow!! The whole thing! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card Kimberley - best of luck with the DT too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sweet, Kimberly! I tend to be very literal when using inspiration photos, too, so I love how you shared your creative process with this card. Congrats on your upcoming publications!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling design, Kimberley! Superb use of colors and elements!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is one sweet card! love the lace and the colors. congrats on all the stamping goodness you've been receiving lately....it sure is fun, isn't it!! enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adorable! This one really stumped me too but you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, congrats on all your wonderful recognition, so happy for you! Your card is simply delightful, that flower really makes me happy! Thanks for sharing this sweet card with us at Lily Pad Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very pretty,,,I love the simplicity and lovely lace tied bow :) Thanks for sharing it with us at The Pixie Cottage this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your gorgeous sweet card.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your Top Spool at The Ribbon Carousel :)

    ReplyDelete