Thursday, April 19, 2012

Paper Smooches April Guest Designer, week 3 (pic heavy)

Happy Thursday! I can't believe it's already the third week of my term as April's guest designer for Paper Smooches Stamps. I guess time truly does fly when you're having fun! Today I'm here to show you the cards that Kim featured on the blog yesterday. The first card, I made intending to be a wedding card, but you could also use it as a retirement card for someone special. Now for the paper yummies:

I created this card using the large "flower" from the Potpourri set, and the solid circle (sun/moon) from the Get Outta Town set. I stamped the large flowers in white ink, then stamped the circle four times in each center using navy ink. With a craft knife, I cut each flower out completely. I adhered a layer of navy polka dot paper under the kraft cardstock, filling in the negative space. Then I adhered only the center of each flower back in it's respective place. I curled each petal up, and added a pearl to each center. Here's a close up:

I combined two sentiments from the Simply Said set, and stamped one in white and the other (embossed) in navy. You can see that here:

I just love that patterned paper peeking through from behind the flowers.


And speaking of flowers, here is the second card Kim featured this week. I actually made two versions of this card, and the first is the one featured on the Paper Smooches blog:

To create the flowers on this card, I lightly free-handed some stems with a pencil to figure out my placement. Then, I used the solid heart stamp from the Pretty Momma set to make a flower, stamping the heart eight times per color. I stamped the sentiment from Simply Said, then erased the parts of the pencil lines that intersected the sentiment. I used green thread to machine stitch stems over the remaining pencil lines, and added a matching button to the center of each flower.

Now, let's just pause here for a moment, and let me issue an official
***SQUEAL ALERT***
for the second version of this card. No, really. I must.

Okay...are you ready?


I HEART THESE POM POMS!!! I made them using baker's twine, and just love everything about them! They match PERFECTLY and just add a little squeal factor to these flowers. And they were super simple to make. I used this tutorial that's all over Pinterest. Here's another view:

And the sentiment/stems:

Alright - thanks for sticking with me through all those pics! Have a great day!

Card 1 is playing along here:
Cupcake Craft Challenges #188: In the Deep End
Paper Pretties Monday Challenge: Embossing (I heat embossed the navy sentiment)
Paper Sundaes Challenge 116: Anything Goes

Card 2 is playing along here:
Lily Pad Cards Flower Challenge
Mojo Monday 237 Sketch
Ooh-la-la Creations Challenge 103: Bold & Bright
Pile It On #16: Pop It Up (I popped buttons up onto the middles of the pompom flowers)
Sweet Stampin' Challenge: Girly But No Pink



17 comments:

  1. These are all so wonderful Kimberley...I completely adore how you used those patterns as flowers on the first card and I thought the second card couldn't get an better but.....bakers twine Pom poms are the icing on the cake :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutly lovely cards each one of them!!! Love the flowers you have made!!! Such pretty colors too! Thanks for joining in my challenge over at The Cupcake Craft Challenge this week! Good Luck! Hugs and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberley - LOVE these cards, spied them on the Smooches site :)
    Yes I have applied for the PS Sparks Design Team - fingers (and just about everything else) crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimberley i love your cards!! really beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards!! :) Both so stylish!

    Thanks so much for joining us at Sweet Stampin this week.

    hugs

    xxalisonxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cards, love the twine pom pom flowers, great bright colours. Thanks for sharing with us at OLLCB this week.

    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great card thanks so much for joining us at paper sundaes this week
    hugs sara x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful flowers and lovely card

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards, fabulous layouts and lovely added detail, gotta love the pom pom flowers on your 2nd card! Many thanks for joining in with us at Cupcake this week :) Donna ♥ x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flower-cards is just amazing! I love the colors and the simplicity!

    Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week.

    Love Mickaela

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I love both versions of the flowers card - the colours are fab! Thank you for playing at Sweet Stampin' this week. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card and thanks for sharing the tutorial I have re pinned that! will be having a try of that one! Thanks for Joining us on the Pile It On challenge this time, see you soon! hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. simple and beautiful!! love them

    thanks for joining us at pile it on and I hope to see you next week as well - Kimberly DT
    http://leokc34.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy moly... LOVE those flowers!!! eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Kimberly LOVE both your takes on this but the pom pom flowers are da bomb!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pom poms really kick ass and I love the way you cut out the flowers on the first card. You have some serious patience, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey again Kimberley! I so lurve your flower cards...especially the pom-pom ones!!
    Thanks for joining us at Ooh La La this week...good luck!
    Lizy DT x

    ReplyDelete