Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Paper Smooches April Guest Designer, week 2

Hello, everybody! I'm here to share the cards for the second week of my guest designer term at the Paper Smooches blog. This week, Kim chose to feature these two cards, which were both made using the Get Outta Town stamp set. It's SO crazy cute! Lotsa great images and sentiments!

For the first card, I created a little island scene. My"island" is actually the oval around the cameo in the Pretty Momma set (which I used in last week's cards). I love finding other ways to use stamps! And if you'll look closely here, you'll see another example: the bird up in the sky is what I used to create the waves below. I just stamped him a bunch of times in succession, and fussy-cut each layer. I love the way it turned out. Now for the paper yummies:

So I've never really used watercolor paper, but I had some in my stash. So I pulled it out, and used it to make my sky background. But instead of using watercolor pencils, I used Tim Holtz distress ink and a blending tool to apply it to the paper. Then I went in with a water brush and randomly added some "clouds". I also used the cloud stamps from Paper Smooches Metropolis set. I stamped them in white ink, then colored them in with a white gel pen. I stamped and second-hand stamped the bird so one would look further away. Here's a closer view:


For my other card, I just HAD to use the cute luggage stamp. And it begged me to paper-piece it. The stamp itself is three stacked suitcases, but I just kept stacking them. First I stamped the Hip to be Square background onto the natural colored cardstock (very subtly - it may not be visible in the pictures). Then I stamped the luggage stamp three times, and fussy-cut the right edge of the cardstock along the lines of the luggage. Then I paper-pieced each suitcase using patterned paper from the Echo Park This & That Charming 6x6 pad. I colored the clasps and handles using Prismacolor markers. More paper yummies:

For the sentiment, I die-cut a ticket from ledger paper (from the same pad as the luggage) using a Papertrey Ink ticket strip die. I stamped the sentiment onto the ticket, and tied it on with baker's twine. Close-up:
I still can't believe I'm actually guest designer for Paper Smooches...although I am on a bit of a roll here lately with all kinds of exciting news coming my way. Stay tuned... :)

Card 1 is playing along with these challenges:
Lawnscaping Challenge 31: Coloring
Little Red Wagon Spring Colors Challenge
The Ribbon Carousel Sketch challenge

Card 2 is playing here:
Crafty Catz Challenge #127: CAS
Paper Pretties Wednesday Challenge PWC201: 2 or more designer papers (I used 10!)
The Pixie Cottage Challenge 116: paper piecing

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful guest design work, Kim! I love the paper-piecing in the 2nd card, especially!Congrats on the guest designing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love both of your cards!! Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cards....love them both esp the one with the luggage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you Kimberly. Saw your cards over at PS. Fabby. Love to learn from all you clever ladies who use stamps in new and different ways. Also interesting to hear about your technique for clouds. Like it. Artsy. Distress Inks are some of my favorite toys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the luggage handles look like smiles, especially with that sentiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee hee! What cute cards. Love the beach scene you created on the first card and I LOVE THOSE paper pieced suitcases on the second. Absolutely fabulous! Adorable!!! So glad you joined us at Lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super card fits perfect with our challenge this week, x carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both of these cards! Just terrific. Thanks so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both of these, especially the second one, with the paper-piecing! Crazy good! I keep finding myself traveling back here to your blog, so I've decided to short-cut it and add you to my blog roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. these both are simply adorable.. you have totally inspired me.. I LOVE your creations..
    Hugs
    Alison
    Owner-The Alley Way Stamps
    www.thealleywaystamps.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow such a cute card. Love your paper piecing and design. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Pixie Cottage
    Denise
    PCDT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim, I LOVE your cards. You really do such amazing things with the PS stamps. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Ribbon Carousel! :)

    ReplyDelete