Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Paper Smooches April Guest Designer, week 1 (pic heavy)

Happy Wednesday, everybody! I'm SO EXCITED to be the guest designer for Paper Smooches Stamps this month! Paper Smooches is the first guest designer "gig" I've gotten (or put in for), so that makes it doubly exciting. The three April stamp releases are TOO CUTE (!) and even though the themes are much different, they work so well together. I made a total of eight cards (for the guest design spot - of course, I couldn't stop there though!), and Kim will be featuring 2 of them on the Paper Smooches blog every Wednesday of the month. The cards she chose for this week are featuring the Pretty Momma and Simply Said sets. Now for the paper yummies:
I just love how feminine the images on the Pretty Momma set are. I stamped the cameo onto this die cut frame, and added a strip of rhinestones for her necklace. And do you see that pink "paper" with the text printed on it, behind the cameo? That's product packaging! Yep, it's the backing from a package of trims. LOVE it! I machine stitched all the way around the frame with some natural quilting thread, and also stitched around the pink packaging and down the left side of the card:

In keeping with the vintage-y look, I used a strip of muslin instead of ribbon. I love the way it frays. I stamped the sentiment onto a rectangular die cut, and banner-cut the right side. I added this adorable rose brad and attached the sentiment to the bow. Here's another close-up:


Okay, on to the next card. Now, I'm not normally a butterfly kinda girl...although I don't really know why...? Anyway, when I saw this butterfly, I really loved it and couldn't wait to use it. I think partly because I'm a sucker for a scallop, and this butterfly has cute little scalloped edges on her wings. So I decided I wanted to make her as dainty as I possibly could, and paper-piece her onto white cardstock so those scallops would really pop. And yes, it was really fun to fussy cut those scallops and other little parts not one, two, or three, but FOUR times! Well...maybe not so fun...but TOTALLY worth it! I love the way they turned out! More paper yummies:

So, I stamped the butterfly a total of three times per color - once on the white cardstock and twice on each color of patterned paper. Once I paper-pieced each butterfly, I used a thin line of Tombow Mono multi-glue down the middle of each butterfly to attach it onto the stamped image below. Once they were all adhered, I machine-stitched across them. Then I raised each wing to give it more dimension and "flutter", and added some Stickles. Here's a close-up:

I finished off this card with some baker's twine and the cutest little buttons. I love how the tiny pink one fits right into the white, flower shaped button:

I am entering the first card in these challenges:
Moxie Fab World Don't Throw it Away Challenge (I used product packaging)
Lily Pad Cards Flower Challenge
Papercraft Star Anything Goes Challenge

I am entering the second card in these challenges:
CAS-ual Fridays CFC46: Name That Tune (inspired by "Butterfly" by Crazy Town)
Papercraft Star Anything Goes Challenge


Thanks so much for looking!

Supplies (card 1): cardstock: Core'dinations; patterned paper, product packaging, die cuts, rose brad: The Girls' Paperie; stamps: Paper Smooches (Pretty Momma, Potpourri); ink: Tsukineko (black, green); bling: The Paper Studio; muslin: Roc-Lon; sanding block: Making Memories; sewing machine: Kenmore; quilting thread: Americana

Supplies (card 2): cardstock: Core'dinations (blue), The Paper Company (black), Georgia Pacific (white); patterned papers: DCWV; stamps: Paper Smooches (Pretty Momma, Simply Said); ink: Tsukineko; corner rounder, hole punch: We R Memory Keepers; scalloped edge punch: Martha Stewart; sanding block: Making Memories; baker's twine: Divine Twine; buttons: craft supply; sewing machine: Kenmore; thread: Singer; glitter glue: Ranger

14 comments:

  1. So beautifully feminine Kimberly. :-) Love the silhouette and her bling. :-) Thanks so much for joining us this week at Papercraft Star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Both of these projects are absolutely fabulous!! Congrats on your GDT gig with Paper Smooches - they're so lucky to have such a fabulous designer this month!! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays! We're so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are lovely, Kimberly, I love the silhouette and I also like what you did with the butterflies. Thanks so much for joining us at the Papercraft Star "Anything Goes" challenge and also the color challenge over at the ColourQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your guest gig! Very exciting :) Gorgeous cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This butterfly card is outstanding! I love how you too the trouble to cut out part of the wings for extra dimensions!! Thanks so much for joining the fun with us at CAS-ual Fridays! And huge congrats on your PS guest design!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such pretty cards!! thanks so much for playing along with us this week at the ColourQ!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kimberly! Thanks for linking this up to the Don't Throw It Away Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your guest designer gig! Great cards... especially love your GORGEOUS butterfly card! Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know about my PC win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, first, congrats on your Paper Smooches gig! I love both of these, but I have to tell you, that second one pushed me over the edge! LOVE that layout and stitching.....so clever & sweet! Thanks for playing with the ColourQ challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are absolutely gorgeous, Kimberly! LOVE your soft color palettes and perfect, little embellishments! And those stitched butterflies... SWOON! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at Papercraft Star!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome cards...so love that silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards are stunning! I love the butterfly one a lot and love how elegant the silhouette one. Thank you for playing along with us at Lily Pad Cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your cards, the butterflies card is just beautiful and so creative, and love the bling necklace on your cameo...wonderful cards:)!!

    ReplyDelete