Sunday, May 6, 2012

Paper Smooches Cardstock Contest - Let's Party!

Happy Sunday!  Today I'll be sharing a few cards with you, the first of which is for a little contest at the Paper Smooches blog.  In honor of National Scrapbooking Day yesterday, Kim issued a challenge to use only cardstock - no patterned paper - to make a project.  And of course, since it's a Paper Smooches contest, she wants to see Paper Smooches stamps.  As if I need an excuse to use them, I made a couple of cards for this contest.  Here is my first paper yummy (I'll post the second in a separate post):

I used strips of cardstock to create my own diagonal striped paper, then stamped the hexagons from the Geo-Graphic set on the right side of the card.  I stamped it again on white cardstock and paper-pieced the hexagons.  Some hexagons I adhered flat, others I popped up on dimensional adhesive, and on 2 random hexagons, I cut out the colored cardstock with a craft knife to show the white card base underneath.  So I have 3 different "heights" of white hexagons:

In the two "negative cut" hexagons, I stamped two little stars from the Metropolis set in inks that match the cardstock color of that row.  The sentiment is from Word Salad, the exclamation point is from Alphadot, and the bigger star (stamped with Versamark ink) is from Smarty Pants.  I finished off the card with machine stitching around the edges and baker's twine through one of the negative cuts:

This card was a lot of fun to make, and definitely challenged me to think a little outside the box. I even *chose* to do diagonal lines outside the constraints of a sketch.  YAY!
Thanks for looking!

I'm playing along here:
Paper Smooches Cardstock Contest
One Stop Craft Challenge #181: Celebrations
Young Crafters Unite Challenge #9: No Coloring Allowed

Supplies: cardstock: Georgia Pacific (white), Core'dinations (yellow, berry), The Paper Company (gray, blues, green); stamps: Paper Smooches; inks: Tsukineko (Versamark, Versafine Onyx black), American Crafts (green), Hampton Art (blue); dimensional adhesive: American Crafts; baker's twine; sewing machine: Kenmore; thread: Singer

7 comments:

  1. awesome take on the challenge Kimberly...love all the fun colors and the hexagons are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card. Thanks for joining us at One Stop Craft.
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. genius! and lots of work, it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Love the way you layered the hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeek.. I love those bold stripes and white hexagons...what a uber cool card :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy moly... LOVE those cutouts. brilliant design.

    ReplyDelete