Thursday, May 17, 2012

Happy botday! ("magic" card)

Happy Thursday!  Today I'm sharing a card I made for the Hero Arts May 2012 contest.  There are three categories for the contest: 1) theme (birthday), 2) interactive cards (any theme), and 3) color challenge (any theme).  I chose to combine two and make an interactive birthday card.  I had the perfect recipient in mind - my friend's daughter, Emma, who was turning 8.  She loves crafting with us and had even asked for a handmade birthday card.  I decided to use the Hero Arts Robot Trio stamp set and to make Emma a "magic card".  I used a combination of this tutorial and this tutorial.  Basically, a "magic card" has an image that appears black and white, then when you pull a tab, the image "magically" becomes colored.  Sounds confusing, right?  Well, lemme just show you what I'm talking about with this paper yummy:

Here is the card "closed".  The cute little robot is black and white. See that little pull tab at the top?

When you pull that tab, the image starts to emerge "magically" colored!:

Continue pulling, and he continues to be colored all the way.  He even has a special message for the birthday girl, or should I say "botday" girl? (Sentiment was created using Hero Arts Fanciful Swirl Alphabet)

Here's the cute guy all colored in:

And here's the whole card, fully extended:

The card also opens just like a regular card, so I could write my own special message to Emma.  I wasn't there when she opened it, but she told me she loved it.  This card took a little while to make, but was a lot of fun.  I will definitely try this technique again!  How about you?  The Hero Arts contest runs through the end of the month, so you still have plenty of time to enter!

I'm also playing along here:
A Blog Named Hero Challenge #4: Dust 'em off
Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge #169: Alphabet letter (use 3 elements beginning with the same letter.  I used R: robot, ribbon, rectangle dies)
Ooh-la-la Creations Challenge #105: Ribbon or twine (or both)-  I used both
The Pink Elephant TPE148: Polka Dots & Stripes
Truly Scrumptious Challenge #80: Anything Goes



Supplies: cardstock: Core'dinations (berry), Georgia Pacific (white); patterned papers: Echo Park (aqua stripe, cupcake, pink houndstooth frame), My Mind's Eye (yellow dot); acetate: Recollections; stamps: Hero Arts; inks: Tsukineko (Versafine Onyx black, Staz-On Jet Black), Close To My Heart (Hollyhock); embossing powder: Hampton Art; markers: Prismacolor; star dust pen: Sakura; white gel pen: Uniball; rectangle/scalloped rectangle dies: Nestabilities by Spellbinders; scalloped circle punch (for pull tab): Martha Stewart; eyelet: American Crafts; ribbon: Michael's; baker's twine: Divine Twine

15 comments:

  1. This is so fun! I really have to read how to create a card like this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun, adorable card. Great color combo. Thanks for sharing with Flourishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card!! I had forgotten that technique and you pulled it off perfectly :)

    Thank you for joining us in Flourishes Timeless Tuesday!

    ~ Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!! Love the fun colors and robot image. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Pink Elephant this week!!
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the cutest thing ever! I LOVE the fun, interactive element. :) Thanks for playing along with us over at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute!!!!! I totally love interactive cards! Your design is awesome too! Thanks for playing with us over at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somehow the little scalloped portion for the pull also looks like a chomp when you had his head partially pulled out. That robot the flipped cupcake border are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow the little scalloped portion for the pull also looks like a chomp when you had his head partially pulled out. That robot the flipped cupcake border are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great card, love the technique you have used, very clever. Thanks for sharing with us at OLL this time.
    hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love the technique and your choice of the words! Thank you for playing along at the FTTC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! So cute! I love the magic :) Thank for playing with us at A Blog Named Hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a super pop up card so cute and colourful, super work, thank you for joining our challenge at OLLCB
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  13. very, VERY cool! thanks so much for playing along with Challenge #4 at A Blog Named Hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome! I absolutely love that Robot :) Thanks for playing along with A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete