Monday, June 4, 2012

Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge - Sup, grill-friend?

Happy Monday to all! Today I have a card to share for the current Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge.  It's the first week of the month, so you know what that means...

Yep, it's the Trend Watch, where you create a card based on a current trend.  Even though I'm in group 2, I still created a card for today's challenge. It will be linked up to the challenge gallery rather than in the blog post itself.  The inspiration for this week's challenge is this:

I was inspired by all those different patterns mixed together.  Now, my card may take a minute to "get", but stick with me, and I think you'll get a kick out of it.  I still giggle every time I look at this paper yummy:

Get it???  HOMEGIRL GOT HERSELF A GRILL!!!  BAHAHAHA! She's his "grill-friend"!

The idea for this card was actually spawned when I was helping my friend's daughter, Emma, make a Father's Day card.  She wanted to use the little farmer from the new Green Acres stamp set, but wanted to give him yellow teeth.  We ultimately decided to keep his teeth white except for one gold tooth, which was done with a Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust pen (in Clear Star) over a light yellow marker.  Then I thought it would be funny to make another card and give him a grill.  Then my mind went to the Alfresco stamp set with the sentiment "sup grill-friend". I know Kim Hughes designs Paper Smooches sets to work well with one another, but I don't know if this is exactly what she had in mind.  LOL!

The sentiment is normally all on one line, but I masked and stamped each word individually to make it fit into my speech bubble.  The whole time I was making this card, I was remembering back to the time when my family went to Oklahoma City for my brother's wedding, and my sister wanted to go dancing at this club.  We went to the Skky Bar in Bricktown, and this guy came up and tried to dance with her, which was cool...until he smiled and had A FULL-ON GRILL!  Her reaction was so funny!  I don't think she even said anything, just pointed and laughed!  He got the point...  When I showed my sister this card, she started laughing and said "that guy!"

Ahem...back to the SPARKS challenge.  I used a total of 6 different patterned papers on this card.  I still crack up looking at it.  Here's my guy, and his grill-friend in the background:

I had so much fun making this card, even though it involved a lot of fussy-cutting.  I think these guys look so awesome paper-pieced!  I especially love her flowery overalls and gingham shirt...and of course, her grill!  (And a little side note, both the farmer and his grill-friend are the same stamp. Kim included a little "leaf" shape stamp in the set that doubles as pigtails!  Genius!)


I hope you will play along with this challenge.  For each challenge, there will be a PS PRO. This PS PRO will receive a banner for their blog and a $30 credit to the Paper Smooches store.  You have until Sunday, June 10th at 11:59 PM EST to play along.


Did you know?  Paper Smooches is now on Pinterest! Come follow the entire team and company here!!! 

Thanks for looking!

I'm playing along here:
Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge: Prints are Charming
The Gingham Challenge in the Moxie Fab World 
Lily Pad Cards Star Challenge
Paper Play Challenge '12 - Week 22: Double Delight (use two of something - I used the farmer stamp 2 times, and added pigtails to one)
Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes Challenge

Supplies: card base: Recollections; cardstock: Georgia Pacific (white for stamped images); patterned papers: Simple Stories (red gingham, flower denim, green dot), Authentique (blue dot, blue gingham), My Mind's Eye (stars); stamps: Paper Smooches (images, sentiment), Hero Arts (speech bubble); ink: Memento; markers: Prismacolor; glitter pen: Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust pen; sewing machine: Kenmore; thread: Singer

10 comments:

  1. Your cards get me every time. Cute, clever, colorful...so you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cracked me up! Glad you had such a perfect sentiment to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me laugh out loud... LOVE it Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUCH an awesome card! Adorable, awesome and genius all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which is funnier--your card or the story behind it! Awesome paper piecing and such a clever design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both the card AND the back-story...will you or your sister keep the card for posterity?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!! This card is brilliant! I'm going to be laughing about this one for a while. :) The execution is perfect, and I loved your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - this is so flippin' funny! Great work and I love all of your paper piecing! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, so funny! I was just thinking of using that paper for the girls jeans, than I saw this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGsh.....how funny is this card!! Homegirl got a gold grill....lol!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete